Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Ten Tales from Shakespeare

by Charles & Mary Lamb
Scott County Library, hardcover, unpaged
illustrated by Janusz Grabianski

What an intriguing find! Originally written in 1807, this edition dates from 1969. The Lambs intended this volume as a prose introduction to Shakespeare for children. Since Shakespeare's plays were written to be performed on stage, not read in a book, this was a daunting task. The preface (from the 1807 original) is enlightening! I would love to own a copy of this book.

The plays themselves are more enjoyable when read singly, for the story-after-story makes them feel like ridiculous caricatures of humanity. The ones I enjoyed the most are the ones that I have either read or watched in the original Elizabethan language. I think this version of Hamlet is my favorite. :-) All in all, a very interesting collection of stories.

No comments: