Friday, July 25, 2008

Charlie Bone

by Jenny Nimmo

Midnight for Charlie Bone
Charlie Bone and the Time Twister
Charlie Bone and the Invisible Boy
Charlie Bone and the Castle of Mirrors
Charlie Bone and the Hidden King

I re-read these titles sometime in the past week just for some light summer reading. In some ways, I think I enjoyed them more this time around. Now I'm ready to go on to Charlie Bone and the Beast, which has been out for a while. Book seven will be out in late September (C.B. and the Shadow).

Charlie Bone is a nice boy whose father has been missing since he was two. Left destitute, Charlie's mom Amy and grandma Maisie move in with his father's mother Grizelda. Many people compare this series to Harry Potter, but I think it has a different flavor to it. I love that the "endowed" children have different gifts. Charlie is able to communicate with people in paintings and photographs. I don't like how quickly the author moves from each story's climax to the ending. Hello, denouement, anyone? Still, they make for fun & light reading.

 

<Above posted 7.25.08. Below added 8.6.23.>

 

I've gotten the audiobooks via Libby so I can listen as I work at my summer job. So far, I've listened to the first two. I'm not sure I'll continue on . . . 

 

Narrator: Simon Russell Beale - he does a fantastic job, giving Manfred Bloor a sinister voice, Lysander a deep calm voice, etc.  


General observations:

  • Some of the adults are so incredibly nasty that it reminds me of Roald Dahl and many of his horrible adult characters (Matilda's parents, James' peachy aunts, . . . )
  • I love Mr. Onimous and the cats! 
  • Poor Benjamin! His parents aren't even home on his 10th birthday and don't have a plan in place to make it special for him.
  • Henry traveling through ninety years of time and meeting his great-nephew Charlie is pretty cool.
  • I remember how much I dislike the sorcerer Skarpo . . .

No comments: