Friday, July 25, 2008

A Company of Swans

by Eva Ibbotson
audiobook on 9 CDs
Carver County library

This took me forever to get into, but I enjoyed it once I was drawn into Harriet's and Rom's stories. An historical romance, this one traveled from Cambridge to the Amazon. Sweet, interesting, fun. I might look for more of her stories.

Harriet is being raised by her father, a boring and pompous lecturer/professor, and his sister Louisa, who is a prickly, miserly woman. Harriet is unusually lively and insightful, but her natural enthusiasms have been stifled by these two ever since her mother died. When she meets young Henry Brandon at Stavely, she develops the courage to run away.

The thing I didn't like were the three huge misunderstandings that developed between Harriet and Rom. They were glaring plot devices to set up conflict, but worked out fine in the end.

No comments: