Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Dear Miss Breed

by Joanne Oppenheim
CMSW, hard cover, 271 pages

I didn't finish this book, because I'm just running out of time. I was a little disappointed that there was such an imbalance between the actual letters that children wrote and the historical research that the author had done. My favorite parts were the children's own voices. Subtitled "True Stories of the Japanese American Incarceration during World War II and a Librarian who Made a Difference," this book documents the appalling treatment of Japanese Americans during WWII. It makes me so sad that this could have happened in my country within the past 70 years! I would love to finish readin this book when I have more time. Clara Breed was an exceptional woman to make such a huge difference in so many people's lives.
(I'm on page 87.)

No comments: