Tuesday, May 27, 2008

The Wicked History of the World: History with the Nasty Bits Left in

by Terry Deary and Martin Brown

CMSW, hardcover, 98 pages

Reading this actually depressed me. There are plenty of "nasty bits" throughout human history. There was a good message at the very end - that kids can learn from history and not do some of the terrible things that humans have done to one another throughout the years - but I wonder how many kids will read to the end of this book!

My least favorite part was the mocking tone toward God and the Bible throughout the book. Granted, items like the Crusades are ripe for ripping open in this type of book, but I hate to see the Lord maligned.

The illustrations are cartoonish yet also horrible, with lots of blood and gore. I thought that it would be a somewhat "fun" book when I bought it, but it really just saddened me. It was informative and a fairly easy read, but not a positive one.

1 comment:

Sarah Rother said...

Anything I can use in this book with my classes?