Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Let's hear about it!

Hey, I'd love to know how your books were . . . since we never got around to actually meeting!

Leave a comment on this blog, if you can grab a minute. (Mary & I already did ours.)

- Jeanne - The Great Expectations School by Dan Brown
- Kristie O - Educating Esme by Esmé Raji Codell
- Sarah B - "I Heard You Paint Houses": Frank "the Irishman" Sheeran and Closing the Case on Jimmy Hoffa" by Charles Brandt
- Sheryl - Send Yourself Roses by Kathleen Turner
- Lupe - Home: A Memoir of my Early Years by Julie Andrews
- Christie - Beautiful Boy: a Father's Journey Through his Son's Meth Addiction by David Sheff

2 comments:

Sarah Rother said...

I need to admit a couple of things. First, I knew NOTHING about Jimmy Hoffa before reading this book. Secondly, I never finished the whole book.

Some of the book was fascinating. For example, how the Kennedy family had ties to the teamsters and the mob. they helped get JFK elected and then Robert turned on them during his time as attorney general.

I also thought the general background about the teamsters was fascinating. I was never quite sure how they worked as an organization and this book cleared some of that up for me.

Unfortunately, some of the book was VERY hard to follow. I thought it was a cliche in mob movies when everyone was named Joey or Tony, turns out that's true. I had the hardest time following all the people mentioned. I finally caught onto the reoccuring names, but some were only mentioned once.

I think the subject matter is very interesting but I can't help but think there would be a more interesting and reader friendly book out there somewhere about Jimmy Hoffa.

Mrs. LeMay said...

I read "Glass Castle" and was blown away by the story. It wasn't great literature but the story was riveting...like watching a train wreck. Two dysfunctional parents have three kids and both parents are not into reality checks when it comes to child rearing. Kind of lijke "Running with Scissors" but really eye popping relationships between the kids and the parents who remain loyal to each other through thck and thin...makes you feel like Helen Homemaker and a Saint even if we did some bone head stuff parenting our own kids.