Wednesday, September 16, 2026

The September Society

By: Charles Finch

Libby audiobook 

Read by: James Langton

Published: 2008 (this version 2011)

Genre: historical murder mystery

Charles Lenox Mystery #2 

 

Right from the get-go I did not enjoy this book as much as the first one. The story opens with British soldiers in India and a reference to the "darkies." I know that it's historically accurate, but Lysander and Juniper and their actions are darker spiritually than the people they're denigrating. Then, too, the story made me think immediately of Sherlock Holmes and the Sign of Four. 

 

My random notes include:

  • Most of the story is just traveling back and forth from London to Oxford. Why?! 
  • Who are all these people?! Dabney, Goodson, . . . I wasn't listening that well . . .  
  • McConnell & Toto marriage troubles . . . baby does not necessarily equal happiness! 
  • Dithering over asking Jane to marry him! Just ask her! 
  • ballistics - history? 

 

It was an interesting murder mystery but much too convoluted for me. I'm not going to request book #3 at this point . . . but I may continue on in the series later. 

No comments: