By: Callie Murray
Dakota County library paperback 340 pages plus author's note and acknowledgements
Published: 2026
Genre: Christian historical fiction, WWII
I didn't make it to the book club discussion last night but I really enjoyed this book. Set in Norcross, Georgia in 1939 and Austria (same time), this first-time novelist really crafted an engaging story. Cora is the protagonist who grew up at the Brunswick, a fancy hotel built by her father after he returned from WWI with his French bride. Alas, Cora's mother left and her father fell into a deep depression. Cora struggles to keep the hotel afloat in the aftermath of the Great Depression.
Page 72: What would life look like if her mother hadn't left them? If the financial crash hadn't happened? If her father hadn't served in the war?
She could write a thousand different stories, but the truth was they were living just this one.
I flagged this passage because I think most people have had times where they've asked the "what if" questions. It can be interesting to think of how life might have turned out differently, but it isn't productive. Looking ahead at options and choices will be more fruitful than looking back.
Page 87: Adults hid their expressions like a secret, while children shared theirs so freely, like little gifts.
This made me chuckle, because I tend to show my thoughts and feelings quite freely (like a little child) even though I'm sixty! I've always called it NOT having a good poker face.
Page 107: "New York strips for all of us. Medium."
This was an odd thing for me to flag, but I strongly dislike the idea of anyone ordering other people's food at a restaurant without consulting them! It really makes me crabby! Granted, Billie as a character was dramatic and forthright, but she just made me mad with this comment at a restaurant while out with best friend Cora and their beaus.
Page 124: "Opening the hotel to the children is the right thing to do, so I'm going to do it," she said with fresh resolve. "And I'm going to trust that it's like you say, Evelyn. Surely my father will understand."
Cora and her father did not communicate. For her to make major decisions (like opening the Brunswick to dozens of German Jewish children) without even trying to talk with him about it seemed risky. I kept waiting for him to go completely off the deep end. Her blithe attitude belied an undercurrent of tremendous concern.
Page 172: Billie's jaw dropped and Cora clarified, "Not that exciting."
I'm not going to explain the entire conversational context here, but this was a lovely scene between best friends as Billie has just experienced her honeymoon night and Cora and Thomas are starting a romance.
Page 206: Cora and Thomas had both learned that if life was just a pursuit of happiness, they were destined to profound disappointment.
But if life were about love, they could find victory, even in the worst of times.
Even grief was a testament to love.
This is really key for me. I want to be a faithful Christ follower and not just pursue my own desires. So many people seem to make decisions based purely on their own personal happiness / wants. That isn't fulfilling. I want to live for eternity while still enjoying the blessings of the here and now. (I can hear Louie saying, "You want it all, Jeanne.") God's still working on me!
Page 214: It was one thing to wrestle with fear yourself. It was much harder to wrestle the fears of another.
It's interesting that such an observation would come from Charlotte, a child. But some children are quite perceptive. She wants to alleviate her parents' worries and the other children's worries . . . but cannot.
Page 232: Nobody understands what one is experiencing, she agreed. Sometimes least of all the one experiencing it.
This reminds me of the importance of empathy. I may not really know or understand what you're going through, but I care about you and I see your struggle. In this scene, they're waiting for the children to get off the train. Cora wonders what the children are feeling as they come to a safe place but without their parents, and in a strange world with a different language.
Page 234: "Worry is a waste of the time we have left."
John (the father of Dean, Thomas, and Anders) says this to Cora. He has seen his wife sicken and die from ALS. He has been ostracized because of his German heritage. He has seen troubles befall his sons. But he shares this wisdom with Cora. Scripture says a lot about not worrying!
Page 251: It seemed that joy and sorrow weren't on opposite ends of a pole as she once thought. Instead, they felt like circles that often intersected.
Cora was a wonderful protagonist with strengths and flaws. I really like this observation. I, too, can laugh and cry in a short span of time.
Page 279: He pulled up a watermelon deep from the dirt and . . .
What?! Watermelons don't grow "deep" in the dirt! This stopped me short. A watermelon isn't a carrot.
Page 286: . . . John had experienced so much heartache, yet, unlike her own father, he hadn't succumbed to it. Even in the midst of the current hardships, he seemed to be coming back to life again, sprouting after a long winter.
Cora's observations about John and her own father don't leave her bitter. She is wondering about the difference and marveling at John's recovery from deep grief.
Page 289: "Look, people will always fear what they don't know. The only remedy I've found is just to get to know the unknown."
I love Meredith! True salt of the earth, that woman. She certainly takes life in stride.
Page 296: Peace emanated from her, filled the room.
How did she manage?
Hope. He heard the word as if it were whispered.
When Thomas is being interrogated by the Nazis, he thinks back to his mother as she was suffering and dying. Her example gave him strength.
Page 299: She had never understood his patterns - awake all evening, asleep all day. But now for the first time, she could understand how one's mind could work at a different pace as one's body, how they could depend on each other so fully yet let each other down all the same.
I like this both for Cora gaining a better understanding of her father and for the concept that our minds and bodies don't always cooperate with one another! It can be maddening to be exhausted and need sleep, but to have your mind running around keeping you awake.
Page 307: What could victory even look like in this broken paradigm? Thomas and these children were now free of the Nazis' threat, but the emotional war was just beginning. Fear had given way to guilt and grief, tempered only by the occasional rush of thankfulness, of joy.
Cora watched Ben's face as he felt the blow of each of these, a crushing wave one after another.
Grief and gratitude, like the tides.
Freedom is a powerful thing. To be free in your mind and soul isn't the same as being physically free in your body.
Page 325: Time had been Cora's enemy, a relentless force that was always far too fast or too slow.
Cora is learning to live in the moment. But this idea that time in an enemy is interesting . . . time is just time. But when "time flies when you're having fun" and it seems to crawl when you want to move on. . . . time can seem to be an entity unto itself.
Page 329: "Dignity's like a lightning rod, it seems."
Thomas has "woken" Cora's dad from his stupor. I'm not sure this is a very realistic scenario for someone who's been sunk in a depressive stupor for years, but this comment has some truth to it. As a woman, I need to be more cognizant of how men view "help" from women. It's too easy to have an emasculating effect on men when you are a strong, determined woman.
In her author's note, Murray wrote several things that caught my attention. This novel was partially based upon the real-life story of Eleanor and Gilbert Kraus as told in their granddaughter Liz Perle's book and film 50 Children: The Rescue Mission of Mr. and Mrs. Kraus. I really want to see this! I've requested the book from the library. It appears that the documentary can be watched on YouTube.
The author also wrote about how elements of Cora's life paralleled her own. She also struggled with weakness in her hands and tremors, feared ALS, and found that a stomach infection had caused a malabsorption of nutrients. "So much of what we felt we had lost was returned to us, but that experience was intensely formative. 'Open hands' became our mantra." The image of open hands, ready to receive, was a beautiful part of this book.
This woman is so amazing! I love how she wove so many different elements into this story without it becoming cluttered or overdone. I really wish I'd been at book club last night. And I hope Murray writes more books!
No comments:
Post a Comment