Monday, April 15, 2024

Takeoffs and Landings

by Margaret Peterson Haddix

PRMS discard hardcover 201 pages

Published: 2001

Genre: YA realistic fiction

 

I picked this book off a discard cart because I really like this author. Just Ella is probably my favorite of hers, but she has a lot of different series out.

 

Chuck (15) and Lori (14) are going on a trip with their mom who is a public speaker. Their dad died when they were seven and six. They and their three younger siblings primarily live with their maternal grandparents in Pickford County. Their mom is a public speaker all over the United States.


Although the story ultimately had a satisfying conclusion, it was almost painful to get there. Chuck is so closed in on himself and Lori is an angry teen lashing out at her mom and her brother. It's only when Chuck starts to speak up that things change. 

 

I like when the three of them finally talk about the day Tom died and what they're each thinking and feeling. I also liked when the mom's chapters started with what she wanted to say in her speech versus what she actually said. I'm okay with this book heading to a little free library.

No comments: