Tuesday, April 02, 2024

Escape from Alcatraz: The Mystery of the Three Men Who Escaped from the Rock


by Eric Braun

NPMS hardcover 112 pages

Published: 2017

Genre: Non-fiction, YA


I was teaching in a sixth grade classroom in March (right before spring break) and the students were reading an article on this topic. I got the book from their library and read it during silent reading time. It was very interesting! I hope their teacher encourages one of the students to check it out and read it.


I'm not sure what the page number was, but I marked this passage:

"They called the San Francisco office of the FBI and informed them of what had happened. The FBI alerted the local police, the California Highway Patrol, the U.S. Navy, the U.S. Coast Guard, and all the sheriffs' offices in the area. A search was begun by land, air, and sea. It was 7:55 a.m., about 40 minutes after the morning head count, and a federal investigation was underway."


I think this impressed me because the proverbial "wheels of justice" seem to move incredibly slowly to me in our fast-paced world. This response is amazing.


Page 94: "Clarence Carnes, who was serving a life sentence on top of a 203-year sentence, was nevertheless paroled in 1973 at age 46. But he violated his parole and went back to prison . . . "


I don't know why he was in jail in the first place, but I can't imagine how his parole would seem appalling to whomever was impacted by his initial crimes. Life PLUS 203 years . . . and he's out by age 46? Bizarre.


There were some really great photos in the back of this book. Fascinating! I'm so glad my mom and I got to tour Alcatraz when we went to San Francisco in the 1970s. I have fond memories of that trip!

No comments: