Wednesday, November 08, 2023

The Broken Blade

by William Durbin

NPMS paperback 163 pages

Published: 1997

Genre: historical fiction, YA


I am positive I've read this book before, but when I checked the spreadsheet I used before I started this blog, I only found the entry for Blackwater Ben. I decided that I will move my reading entries from that document to this blog as I have reason to open it. (Hence the entry from 2007 for that other Durbin title.)


This book is one that I was using in a social studies class with sixth graders. Our task was to read chapters 7 and 8, so I quickly read chapters 1 - 6 in the morning. 


I went back to that classroom yesterday to borrow a copy of the book so I could finish it.


Google Books says: In 1800, 13-year-old Pierre La Page never imagined he'd be leaving Montreal to paddle 2,400 miles. It was something older men, like his father, did. But when Pierre's father has an accident, Pierre quits school to become a voyageur for the North West Company, so his family can survive the winter. It's hard for Pierre as the youngest in the brigade. From the treacherous waters and cruel teasing to his aching and bloodied hands, Pierre is miserable. Still he has no choice but to endure the trip to Grand Portage and back.

 

I really enjoyed this book for a whole host of reasons. 

 

Page 95:

McKay paused to open a small brown Bible. "The Lord warns us to prepare, saying, 'What man is he that liveth and shall not see death?'" 

McKay looked up at his men and continued. "Whether our parting from this world comes early or late, sudden or slow, it is not our place to question. We take up our journey without knowing where or when it will end. Each man in his turn must one day pass on to greater kingdoms."


Though the voyageurs worked hard and fought hard, they acknowledged death as a part of life. The impromptu funeral brought some serious contemplation for Pierre and the other men.

 

Page 99-100:

" . . . lake is two hundred fathoms in places and so cold she makes a climate all her own. It might be summer up on those hills, but here on the water, a squall can bring it down to freezing in minutes."


I didn't grab the part on page 99! But it was talking about Lake Superior. It made me think of Nick and Mari. They really do have a special ecosystem in Grand Marais!


Page 129: 

"You give the Indians trade goods before they even bring in furs?"
"Aye," McKay responded. "It's all based on trust. I've seen some cheating done, but the whites mainly author it. If you give an Ojibwa a rifle in the fall, you can count on twenty pelts come spring."


Pierre is such a wonderful young character. I love his homecoming. This is a lovely book, but I'm still convinced I've read it before!


No comments: