Tuesday, November 28, 2023

The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes

by Suzanne Collins

Scott County Library, hardcover, 517 pages

Published: 2020

Genre: YA dystopian fiction


I have heard that the movie was fantastic, but I wanted to read the book first! I kind of want to re-read all the Hunger Games books now (and re-watch the movies) but I have too much to do! (FYI, this review assumes one understands the trilogy concept and content.)


This story takes place in the tenth year after the rebellion. For the tenth Hunger Games, mentors from students at the Academy have been chosen for each of the tributes.

 

Part I: "The Mentor"

Part II: "The Prize" (page 155)

Part III: "The Peacekeeper" (page 321)

Epilogue (page 511)


I love when authors reference other literary works! Collins opens the novel with this page of quotations. I'm guessing for most readers, this page is glossed over. But if I were reading this with a book club of teens, we'd spend a whole discussion on this! Wow. Lots to think about here.


Page 12: "As she led Coriolanus into the kitchen, he reminded himself that self-control was an essential skill, and he should be grateful his grandmother provided daily opportunities to practice it."


For most of the story, Coriolanus Snow is a fairly sympathetic character (which is surprising considering the Snow of the trilogy). His grandmother, her roses, her daily singing of the anthem, and her old ways are irritating to young Coryo, but this attitude of gratefulness for helping him learn a skill caught my attention. I'm often just quick to be crabby and forget to look for the opportunity when I feel frustrated.


Page 15: "Really, she needed to get her drinking under control, although the same thing could be said for half the adults he knew. Self-medication was a citywide epidemic."


This caught my attention because it saddens me and it's the reality for too many people over too many eras. Self-medicating to numb the pain, anger, grief, sadness, etc. does not solve a person's problems.Yet it's the go-to for many people.


Page 76: "'It's just this whole Hunger Games thing is making me crazy! I mean, what are we doing? Putting kids in an arena to kill each other? It feels wrong on so many levels.'"


When Sejanus expresses his true opinion, I agree whole-heartedly. I was surprised, though, that he trusted Coriolanus enough to say something that he must have known would mark him as a treasonous traitor.


Page 158: "Oh, to be seven again, in a happy pile with his friends, with nutritional crackers waiting at his desk."


When life and the decision-making gets hard, wanting the carefree joys of younger years rears up. 


Page 227: "The right thing to do. Coriolanus realized that this was what had always defined Sejanus's actions, his determination to do the right thing."


I love that about Sejanus - wanting to do what is right whether it is beneficial to him or not. What a difference between him and Coriolanus! (But Collins writes this cleverly, because the latter character is still sympathetic . . . )


Page 243: "'A boy with a club who beats another boy to death. That's mankind in its natural state.'"


Dr. Gaul's attitude about human nature is chilling. This sentiment brings to mind The Lord of the Flies. I haven't read that book since I was a teen in the 1980s. I should probably re-read it, but it was such a distressing book the first time! Human nature. Nature vs. nurture. Good grounds for discussion here!


Page 338: "He felt sure he was having a heart attack but made no attempt to call for help, instead curling into a ball and pressing his face against the wall."


This is such a turning point for Snow. A letter from his cousin Tigris has let him know that they are completely destitute and need to sell their luxury apartment in Panem. He envisions a future for himself of being an old Peacekeeper and missing out on all his hopes and dreams, with the Snow name ground into the dirt. 


Page 423: "'Every one of us Covey owes our name to a ballad, and this one belongs to this pretty lady right here!' She held out a hand to Lucy Gray, who curtsied to scattered applause. 'It's a really old one by some man named Wordsworth.'"


I love The Ballad of Lucy Gray by William Wordsworth! I love how Collins uses literary allusions to feed the reader more literature. I like the Covey, their music, and their names.


I think my favorite character was Pluribus, the nightclub owner and black market guy in Panem. I like how cleverly Collins wove in the details that "set up" the Hunger Games stories . . . which were written more than a decade ago. 


The epilogue wasn't really surprising, but his little interview with Dr. Gaul when he thought he was headed to officer school was an eye opener. She orchestrated a lot more than just the Hunger Games! This is actually a very chilling dystopian story. But it is well-written!



No comments: