Monday, July 24, 2023

Girl Forgotten

by April Henry

Libby audiobook 6 hours

read by: Tessa Netting

Published: 2023

Genre: YA murder mystery

 

"Seventeen years ago, Layla Trello was murdered and her killer was never found. Enter true-crime fan Piper Gray, who is determined to re-open Layla's case and get some answers. With the help of Jonas - who has a secret of his own - Piper starts a podcast investigating Layla's murder. But as she digs deeper into the mysteries of the past, Piper begins receiving anonymous threats telling her to back off the investigation, or else."

 

This book bothered me more than I anticipated. I've read other April Henry books and I know I'm not her target audience, but some of the issues raised seem to be too easily dismissed.

 

Podcasting, journalistic integrity, research, innuendo, rumor, inaccurate info, sensationalism, perspective . . . especially when dealing with the true crime genre and real people's lives . . . it just didn't seem to address these questions very well. 

 

The killer was not who I anticipated. I liked Jonas, except for being so upset with Piper for her untruth.  

No comments: