Tuesday, March 14, 2023

To Me, He Was Just Dad: Stories of Growing Up with Famous Fathers

by Joshua David Stein and the editors of Fatherly

Scott County Library hardcover 202 pages

Published: 2020

Genre: short story memoirs

 

I really enjoyed most of these stories, even though I'd never heard of some of the dads (like  clown Glen "Frosty" Little). Some made me sad ("My Father the Murderer George Hodel"). I love storytelling and these stories are well told.


I wanted Louie to read the one about Evel Knievel, but he wasn't interested. Kneivel was such a big deal in my childhood! I think it's funny that he tried to steer his son away from that line of work, but Robert also became a dare devil.


I wanted to share "My Father the Dungeon Master Gary Gygax" by Lucion Gygax with Alex, but I don't see him very often. And he'd probably react like his dad - no, thanks.


I don't know much about the Black Dahlia murder, but reading Steve Hodel's story about his dad was shocking. As a police investigator, to learn that all evidence pointed to his father's guilt . . . "Two decades have passed since I established my father's guilt. I wrote a book about it and have, since then, discovered twenty-four other likely victims of my father's reign of terror. During those two decades, I have been through every conceivable emotion. Disbelief gave way to depression, followed by anger, hatred, and rage. Now those emotions have all melded together into sadness."


The childhood memory of going to the beach was such a vivid and personal story. His resolution after his father's death is painful and yet strong. Wow.


I loved the story about Cesar Chavez! ". . . you only lose when you stop fighting - you only lose when you quit." What great advice to a son!


Many of the dads in these stories were more focused on their work than on their families, yet their time with their children left indelible memories. Dads are important!

No comments: