Saturday, October 09, 2021

A Murder for the Books

by Victoria Gilbert

Libby audiobook 11:12 hours

read by Melissa Bentley

Published: 2017

Genre: read the blog entry! Grr!


I *thought* this was a murder mystery. It was, but that's just a front for a bad romance novel with some ghost story tucked in. I really strongly disliked this story! Why (oh why) did I listen to the entire thing?!?! Because it was the only audiobook I had on my phone and I drove to Abbott Northwest Hospital twice and Forest City, Iowa twice and it was there. (Now I'm more careful to have more options on my phone!)


I initially liked that Amy was a librarian and there were so many book nerd references. But then it was clear that the research skills part was going on and on . . . and it was boring. (Part reference manual?) The romance was forced and dopey. The southern drawls were fine - the reader did a fine job. Amy finding everyone a possible suspect (except the real killer) was irritating. Amy getting her 30-something year old butt kicked by her 60-something year old cousin was just embarrassing. Doesn't this woman know any self-defense skills other than locking the house door?

The Amy / Sylvia and Eleanora / Rose comparison seemed a bit much, as did the connections between the 1920s story, the 1950s story, and the current story. I just did not like this book.


No comments: