Saturday, April 10, 2021

Eat That Frog! 21 Great Ways to Stop Procrastinating and Get More Done in Less Time

by Brian Tracy

Scott County Library paperback 108 pages (3rd edition)

Published: 2017

Genre: Non-fiction, self help, time management

 

 I read this book several years ago (10? 15?) and tried to communicate to someone else what it meant to "eat the biggest, ugliest frog" first each day. As gross as the concept sounded, I remembered when I initially read this book, something really clicked for me. So of course, I had to check it out and re-read it.

 

It didn't resonate for me as much this time around, probably because I'm not as stressed and overwhelmed by the sheer quantity of tasks at work and home. My life has a pace that is manageable and enjoyable. I can still procrastinate at times, though . . . and then I think about which frog I need to eat. The way the author describes it has more to do with job performance. For me, it's the thing that I'm avoiding but know I need to tackle. It helps me to think about what I need to do to just dig in and get started.

 

I'm so glad that I was able to read this book (in 2021) and think, "this is simply not an issue for me. This isn't what I struggle with or need to spend a lot of time and energy on." Praise God! It was a fun re-read, but I wish I'd blogged about it when I initially read it . . . I think it would be illuminating! This is a fairly quick read and is helpful if you're feeling overwhelmed and in need of a paradigm shift to deal with it all.

 

(I checked the Excel sheet I used to use to write about books I'd read . . . that goes from September of 2005 Burroughs' Running with Scissors to November of 2007 Friedman's The World Is Flat. No Eat That Frog on there . . . so I must have read it prior to 9/05 or simply omitted writing about it!)

No comments: