Tuesday, April 06, 2021

The Nature of Fragile Things

by Susan Meissner

Carver County (?) ebook via Overdrive

Published: 2021

Genre: Christian historical fiction


This was a very delightful book, even though I prefer reading physical print books. Meissner is a wonderful storyteller and there were enough twists and turns that I was surprised by how certain events turned out. It was not spiritually inspiring in terms of faith, but it was uplifting in terms of human nature.


Sophie is an Irish immigrant who leaves the cold and hunger of New York City tenement living to get married to Martin Hocking in San Francisco. They have met through an ad and letters, but wed within the hour of her arriving. Martin has a five year old daughter named Kat (Katharine) who doesn't speak, ostensibly traumatized by the death of her mother. I don't want to put any spoilers here, but this was a quick, "page-turning" book and I enjoyed reading it and discussing it at book club. 

 

The earthquake of 1906, the fires, evacuating the city, Martin's secrets, danger, friends and foes, . . . 


These are four of the excerpts I grabbed with screen shots:

I love how Sophie and Kat connected. I love the idea of home being a "sacred place where your soul is at rest because all the people you love most are there." 

I always like to see where the title originated. And the "nature of fragile things to break" speaks volumes. I love this author's work!


Kat's silence was so concerning throughout the book. I love how Sophie connected with her and was sensitive to her. I wish there had been a reconnection with Mrs. Lewis, the landlady from the start of the book!


The marshall was a hero. The interview segments were interspersed throughout the story, helping to further the plot. I really wasn't sure where this was going! I love the final scene, too, in a courtroom, with the U.S. Marshal Ambrose Logan and Kat. What a delightful book!


No comments: