Saturday, November 14, 2020

To Fetch a Thief

A Chet and Bernie Mystery #3

By Spencer Quinn

Scott County Library audiobook 8 CDs

Read by Jim Fangione

Genre: detective, humor

Published: 2010


I absolutely love these books except when animals are being mistreated (like the bad guys chaining Chet up and not giving him water) and the use of the Lord's name as a swear word. The swearing in the book isn't over the top, but it's enough that it bothers me as I listen.


Other than that, Chet's doggie perspective is delightful. I especially enjoyed when he was "herding" Peanut, the circus elephant. 


The whole Winkleman scenario and Malcolm's cheating on Leeta . . . I kept shouting "Confront Malcolm!" He finally did at the end . . . and he finally took some advice and listened while walking with Susie. I jotted a quick note - "Tell Susie what you told Chet." It's sweet how Bernie considers Chet as a partner and equal. 


The animal smuggling aspect . . . the circus and "Colonel Drummond" . . . Popo the clown . . . animal rights activists  . . . a puff adder. I've already got the next book on order!

No comments: