Thursday, July 09, 2020

The Vanishing

by Jayne Ann Krentz
Scott County Library audiobook 7 CDs
read by Sandra Michelle
genre: mystery paranormal romance
published (book): 2020

The best thing I can say about this book is that listening to the entire thing convinced me to ditch the next two audiobooks I tried after a few chapters that just didn't "speak" to me. I'm still not sure why I finished this entire book when I kept shutting off my car stereo saying "This is so dumb!"

I thought it was going to be more mystery-focused . . . and it ended up being almost exclusively paranormal is normal and hot sex / "true love" between the initially antagonistic leads is inevitable.

My random notes:
  • Fog Lake / paranormal / seeing auras 
  • Olivia, Catalina - seeing visions
  • trust your own intuition 
  • Slater Argonbright
  • "seeing" after 15 years . . . is that at all plausible? (It strains credulity on so many levels.)
  • oracle is the town librarian - smiley face
  • Nila Trevalyn aka Alma York
  • dangers of lake / fluorescent plants
  • sex scenes - yada yada . . . fast forward?
The reader did a decent job. The author is apparently a best-seller with lots of books. Not my cup of tea. At all. I'm sure her target audience loves her, but I'm not interested in trying any of her other titles. 

Oh! Random note I found in my car (and laughed): condom use. At least in the steamy sex scenes, Slater always used a condom. I don't read a lot of "bodice rippers," as one of my professors called them, but there are recurring themes in sex scenes. Most of them do not involve protection of any kind. Kudos to Krentz for including this!

No comments: