Saturday, March 07, 2020

Gift from the Sea: An answer to the conflicts in our lives

by Anne Morrow Lindbergh
my mother's copy, hardcover, 128 pages
genre: philosophy? personal essay?

I was so excited to see this as I helped my sister with clearing out some of our mother's books. Ever since reading The Aviator's Wife, I've been curious about reading some of her work. Perfect!

I don't want to write about this the way I usually do, but rather in impressions.

Parts of it read like poetry, a gorgeous love of words and how they can evoke places, ideas, and feelings. I could savor, re-read, and contemplate the text.

I wish I could talk with my mom about what this book meant to her. There is something innately lonely and companionable about motherhood and its demands on a person.

At times, I thought it was overwrought and dramatic (more reflective of my mood at the moment than Lindbergh's writing?).

Page 42 - "Now instead of planting our solitude with our own dream blossoms, we choke the space with continuous music, chatter, and companionship to which we do not even listen. It is simply there to fill the vacuum. When the noise stops there is no inner music to take its place. We must re-learn to be alone."

Imagine what she would think of modern day smart phones and instant access to nearly anything!

Page 49 - "By and large, mothers and housewives are the only workers who do not have regular time off. They are the great vacationless class."

Amen, sister! I'm not in that stage of life anymore, but there were days I just wanted to be all by myself. I remember telling my mom that if I were locked up in solitary confinement, that would be so relaxing . . . and she just laughed at me.

Page 50 - "What a commentary on our civilization, when being alone is considered suspect; when one has to apologize for it, make excuses, hide the fact that one practices it - like a secret vice!"

Page 100 - "We run bare-legged to the beach, which lies smooth, flat, and glistening with fresh wet shells after the night's tides. the morning swim has the nature of a blessing to me, a baptism, a rebirth to the beauty and wonder of the world."

She and her sister have this wonderful beach retreat. Lovely!

Page 124 - "The inter-relatedness of the world links us constantly with more people than our hearts can hold. Or rather - for I believe the heart is infinite - modern communication loads us with more problems than the human frame can carry. It is good, I think, for our hearts, our minds, our imaginations to be stretched; but body, nerve, endurance, and life are not as elastic."

Sometimes I feel overwhelmed about all the people and issues to care about and pray about. I'm glad that God is infinite and infinitely able!

No comments: