Thursday, March 12, 2020

A Higher Loyalty: Truth, Lies, and Leadership

by James Comey
Scott County Library audiobook 8 CDs
read by the author
genre: politics

I'm glad I listened to this because I have a better understanding of some of the events of the past five or so years. It was a bit disconcerting, though, because I don't have a lot of confidence in Comey. He says that integrity and truth are important to him, but he also comes across as someone who lacks spine.

Even in the story about his teen years when they had the intruder in their home, I thought he was such a wimp. I would love to hear his brother's version of what happened that night!

Comey really emphasized his dogged focus on truth and that lying should be punished severely. He seemed a bit myopic. I made a note that he stressed that people SHOULD FEAR - God, jail, . . . since he read his own book, his emphasis was strong.

He had some really nice storytelling. I especially liked the personal stories about his childhood and his family. Patrice (his wife) added so much more dimension to Comey's identity. The conversations he relayed helped make him seem more personable.

Some parts of the book were just boring. It reminded me of the Joe Biden book I read. Those of us who aren't necessarily fascinated by politics don't care as much about the nitty gritty or the who's who.

Comey seemed like a coward at times, wanting to say he stood up for truth, the FBI, whatever . . . but it seemed like some hindsight perspective altering . . . when he related the part about Dick Cheney and the Abu Ghraib torturing, it sounded as though he was trying to make himself the hero, but he seemed to just be a bit pathetic.

When he talked about leadership and how a mix of confidence and humility are necessary for a good sense of humor, I liked that he added the part about his family teasing him about "Seacresting" a news briefing. It seems to have more than a kernel of truth, though. His ambition seems to get the best of his intent to be modest. Ego can be challenging.

I found myself really wanting to hear about events from other people's perspectives - Robert Mueller, Anthony Wiener, Mrs. Comey, Hillary Clinton, Obama, FBI staffers, . . . . I'll just have to keep reading books by different people.

Overall, I don't have a really high impression of Comey, but I do believe he sees himself as a person of high integrity. I believe he was genuinely trying to do the right thing in the investigation of Clinton's emails and in communicating with Donald Trump. I am horrified at our current commander in chief and his wheeling and dealing attitude toward the Oval Office and our country.

Comey says he's a spotlight denier, yet his ego seems to give him plenty of opportunities to be front and center. Someone accused him of being proud of his own righteousness . . . I wonder how much truth is actually in that.

Hindsight . . . he says he wouldn't have done anything differently. With Clinton's emails. With the Steele dossier. In communicating with Trump.

His mafia and honor comparisons were fascinating. He's painting a picture for us in hindsight . . . it makes me wonder what really happened. Trump asking him for loyalty - yuk. The way Trump fired him - appalling.

His wife Patrice saying, "It's not about you, dear." I love that woman!

No comments: