Friday, January 10, 2020

Skink No Surrender

by Carl Hiaasen
Hennepin County Library audiobook 7 CDs
read by Kirby Heyborne
genre: YA realistic fiction

I like Hiaasen's books, but this one may have bugged me more than I enjoyed it . . . I feel as though I'm on a teeter-totter of opinion.

I liked:
  • Skink - his personality, his backstory, his attitude. I loved him as a character!
  • Nickel, Dime, and Penny for sibling character names
  • environmental concerns and the plug for Rachel Carson's Silent Spring (which I've not read and is now on my reading list . . . I've been aware of it for four decades . . . )
  • info on the ivory billed woodpecker, the "Lord God bird" . . . enough for me to look it up and learn even more!
Disliked:
  • Malley. What an awful brat of a kid. 14 years old and just horrid. Not sure why Richard or her parents care about her so much . . . she didn't seem to have many redeeming qualities
  • Richard and Malley together doing so many stupid things. Yes, we all do stupid things. We do proportionally more stupid things when we're teenagers. But still . . . argh! 
Mixed:
  • The bad guy TC - his choices and actions . . . believable? Some of it. Listening, I thought about all the "Florida Man" humor on the internet . . . he's like a bad joke.  
  • Skink honoring the real Talbot Chalk. Nice touch

Ultimately, I think Flush remains my favorite of his YA books. I was a bit shocked at the difference between Hiaasen's style for teens and for adults. Duh, right? He's a talented writer.

I just had to go back and fix three previous entries where I had labeled the author as "Hiassen" instead of "Hiaasen." Wow. Sometimes I'm efficient and sometimes I'm in too much of a hurry to pay attention.

No comments: