Tuesday, December 11, 2018

The Beautiful Mystery

by Louise Penny
Scott County Library audiobook 11 CDs
read by Ralph Cosham
genre: murder mystery

This book was frustrating! Jean-Guy was *not* an enjoyable character in this tale. At one point I jotted, "Dude! Listen to Gamache!" The video, the painkillers, the regression, rising to Francour's bait . . . ugh!

"Honestly, they're worse than crackheads." This comment of Beauvoir's, early in the story, as a commentary on the monks' chanting, made me laugh. As the story went on, though, his attitude and psychology ruined the story.

I liked Frere Bernard! And some of the other monks, as well. Toward the end, my list of suspects went from the 23 possibilities to five names, to one of three. The killer was one of the three I expected. Although I love the Three Pines stories and characters, it was kind of nice to have a different setting and different characters.

I think I'll take a break before I get the next Inspector Gamache story, though. I like him tremendously, but I think there will be some Beauvoir / Francour drama recurring in the next book. Ugh.

No comments: