Friday, April 14, 2017

Survivors Club: The True Story of a Very Young Prisoner of Auschwitz

by Michael Bornstein and Debbie Bornstein Holinstat
Hennepin County Library hardcover 318 pages plus pictures and index
genre: autobiographical

This is two days overdue and has a waiting list! I finished it last night and must get it back. I had read a review and am glad I've read it even though I've been too sad lately to read a Holocaust book . . . The author and his daughter did a lot of research and wrote an incredible story. I love that they were able to find other survivors, photos, stories, etc. and were willing to write and share this story! (Though the thought of Mr. Bornstein seeing the photo of himself as a child on a website "disproving" the horrors of the Holocaust appalls me.)

Page 44 - "Hilda! No more risks. No more daring escapes. . . . Hilda, this situation in Poland can't last. You need to stay in Warsaw until the war ends, my sweet daughter. The conflict will be over soon enough." It makes me unbelievably sad to think of how many people thought it would soon be over . . . and yet the suffering, pain, and innocents' deaths just kept happening. What fortitude to not only survive this era, but to keep a positive attitude! I loved how so many of the adults in young Michael's life had a "this too shall pass" / "look forward, not behind" attitude. Wow!

He was born on May 2, 1940 and experienced life in a Nazi-controlled town, then a ghetto, then Auschwitz, then a post-WWII Poland and Germany that largely still hated Jews, then America with no money . . . what an amazing man to share his story and his optimism and faith!

Page 158 - "Heartbreak was starting to feel as natural as hunger and fear to me. I was numb with hurt." This after his mother was sent to a different work camp. I'm so glad his grandma was able to stay with him and protect him! Again, he survived due to many, many unique situations. What a blessing! I'm so glad his daughter worked with him to tell this story.

No comments: