Saturday, January 30, 2016

The Bronte Plot

by Katherine Reay
Personal paperback 330 pages
genre: contemporary Christian romance

Liked it, but didn't love it. Her Dear Mr. Knightley was more enjoyable. Still, I loved the literary allusions (though I've never read anything by Gaskell and now feel that I must) and the story was pleasant enough.

Lucy Alling works in a design shop with owner Sid McKenna. When James Carmichael walks into the shop, they go from the sale of a book to a first date to being inseparable in just a few pages. Lucy's "the ends justify the means" mentality becomes a problem and James' grandma's (Helen) agenda changes all their lives.

page 37 - James says to Lucy -  "I've never heard anyone talk about books like you do. It's like they're your friends."

page 130 - Helen says to Lucy - "You are your own person and I wouldn't worry about the stories. We all compare our lives to them. That's why we love them; they help us understand ourselves."

page 139 - Lucy's observations on eyes when trying to figure out why Dillon was questioning her. "His eyes were hazel and clear and it struck her how much one could see in another's eyes. They shadowed under the strains of lies; they drifted in dreams or peace; they widened in surprise and fear; they darkened in tension; and worst of all, they sharpened in manipulation. She knew that one, had seen it in others and felt it within herself. Dillon's eyes carried nothing beyond open interest and innocent curiosity." (Plus - I liked Dillon!)

page 148 - Lucy and Helen visit Westminster Abbey and have an intense experience. I love this scene! It made me want to visit London.

page 263 -  "Come further up, come further in!" "Our new battle cry?" "That's a wonderful thought and very appropriate. For both of us." I love Lucy and Helen having their adventure in England together.

page 266 - "If everyone got what they wanted, were pleased with the result and with her for accomplishing it, why should they pay attention to the process? To her? Why, in fact, did the process matter? She sank onto the wall. Because it does. It mattered just as James's regard mattered."

I ended up having to buy this book because the wait list at the library was so long. I don't think I'll keep it, though. Like I said - Liked, didn't love.






No comments: