Sunday, January 03, 2016

Soul Eater

by Atsushi Ohkubo
Hennepin County Library paperback 200 pages
genre: YA manga, adventure

I read this based on a student's recommendation. I only read a portion of it . . .same old, same old. Fighting with loud exclamations, a child-like babydoll character, a busty and shapely (and nude) adult woman, . . . I don't really understand why some of my students read so much of this. I am happy to provide as many graphic novels (and even manga) as my budget will afford, but I simply don't have the money to start a new series. (And if I did, I wouldn't choose to spend it on this.)

From the back "Maka is a weapon meister, determined to turn her partner, a living scythe named Soul Eater, into a powerful death scythe - the ultimate weapon of Death himself!" The story prologue opens with Soul Eater eating his 99th human soul and needing only to eat the soul of a witch to become a death scythe. It doesn't get better after that . . .

No comments: