Thursday, April 30, 2015

Monument 14

by Emmy Laybourne
Hennepin County Library audiobook 6? CDs
read by Todd Haberkorn
genre: YA dystopian future

Tomi and I listened to this on the way to and from school. She took it home to finish over the weekend (with her mom) and had to get the second book Monday morning! She finished it in a few days and book three as well . . .

I finished the audiobook and lent it to Tom C. He enjoyed M.T. Anderson's Feed so much, I thought he might like this one, too.

It's 2024 and en route to school, a tremendous hailstorm hits. The bus carrying the high school kids ends up on its side with the hail pelting through the windows and injuring the kids. Mrs. Wooly, the driver of the elementary school bus, delivers the little kids to safety and returns to get the "big kids." The action and danger are intense. An earthquake and the release of biological weapons from NORAD make this group of Colorado kids a fascinating experiment as they hide away in a Greenway store! This book had me - I've already read book two (after Tomi) and I'm on book three now.

Haberkorn is a great reader! Dean is a bit too much of a wuss for me (for a protagonist), but the characters are interesting and varied.

No comments: