Friday, March 20, 2015

Still Life with Bread Crumbs

by Anna Quindlen
Hennepin County Library hardcover 252 pages
genre: realistic fiction, relationships

This was the January book for Eden Prairie library, but I was curious and wanted to read it anyhow. (At the rate I'm going, I'll be ready and able to attend a book club there in 2017. . . ) Although I'm familiar with Quindlen as a writer, this may be the first novel of hers that I've read. It was beautiful and sad and hopeful. Rebecca Winter is a 60-year old photographer who is in financial straits and worried about becoming a "has-been." When she sublets her NYC apartment and takes a cottage in the woods, her life is slowly transformed. I loved the characters - Susan, Kevin (yuk!), Jim, Ben . . . this book is worth reading and discussing. Beautiful.

No comments: