Sunday, September 01, 2013

Mountains Beyond Mountains: The quest of Dr. Paul Farmer, a man who would cure the world

by Tracy Kidder
Hennepin County Library audiobook 9 discs
read by Paul Michael
genre: non-fiction

later!

I finished this a week ago, but the impact it left on me is strong. I had never heard of Dr. Paul Farmer before this story. He is undoubtedly an exceptional person who has not allowed barriers to stop his work in improving health care for Haitians and others. His methodology and philosophy are not acceptable to everyone, however. He can come across as arrogant and self-important. He certainly doesn't hesitate to criticize anyone who disagrees with him.

Yet . . . who of us has worked so tirelessly to help others? His compassion for the poor and frustration with the disparities of rich vs. poor access to health care is very real. He has truly made a difference.

I think this author did an amazing job of capturing and relating the different facets of Farmer's personality, philosophy, and work. I would love to read more of Kidder's work; I think he's a gifted author.

No comments: