Friday, March 22, 2013

One Thousand White Women: The Journals of May Dodd

by Jim Fergus
Carver County Library paperback 302 pages
genre: historical fiction

Amazing book. Powerful and painful. I have notes, but I'm too tired to check them now. I didn't have the book read before we discussed it, but I'm so glad I've finished it. I had to put it down at times, because I knew it would come to bad parts. Will write more later.

I'm always amazed when a male author so successfully writes from a woman's perspective.

(added 4/5/13 from notes)
 pages 30/31 - letter "from" her father giving permission for May to participate in the Indian bride program . . . interesting how well she knew her father and how to write this deceptive letter

page 54 - Narcissa White is supposed to be an evangelical Christian, but she's just an awful, judgmental woman. I was so thankful for the character of Brother Anthony to counteract her!

pages 58/59 - the buffalo kill, just for the sport of it. Horrible.

pages 74/75 . . . not sure about this note. Perhaps marking my page from when I had to return the book to the library??? I went back and forth between the print & audio versions.

(added 4/27/13 from other notes . . . I have a lot of clutter in my life right now.)

Captain Bourke
Euphemia
Martha
Susan & Meggie Kelly
Chief Little Wolf
Horse Boy
Reverend Hare
Father Anthony

page 163 - Gertie and May talking about what a person needs - safety . . . security . . . love, perhaps.
 Love - that's the easy part. Don't appreciate what you've got until you don't have it.

Page 255 - white vs. Indian philosophy - ". . . the only true hope for the advancement of the savage is to teach him that he must give up this allegiance to the tribe and look toward his own individual welfare." Great paragraph! The irony of what the "civilizing" of the Indians would mean, in becoming more like the whites and less like their own culture is both painful and amazing.

page 273 - Father Anthony - "The People recognize a holy man by his own actions, and the monk's simple faith and self-denial, his fasts and penances are something the Cheyennes well understand . . . "

Page 293 - Father Anthony's codicil - God is not vengeful - "God is full of Grace, Light, and infinite Mercy."

No comments: