Friday, February 01, 2013

Every Soul a Star

by Wendy Mass
PRMS paperback 322 pages
genre: realistic fiction, relationships, coming of age

Eighth grade book club will discuss this today; glad I finished it last night! I liked the three perspectives - Ally, Bree, and Jack - though I didn't find the girls' scenarios to be very realistic. The author did an amazing job of weaving the astronomy and wonder of science throughout the book. I think our earth science teachers might enjoy this book . . .

Ryan - has changed from Ally's reliable friend to a workout-focused guy looking for "hotties"
Melanie - Bree's positive, energetic little sister who's unconcerned with peer pressure, societal norms, etc.
Kenny - Ally's brainiac little brother who loves bugs
Stella - the little old lady who befriends Jack, then Bree; knits a red scarf

The Unusuals - interesting, yet also a little too New Age-y for me . . .

No comments: