Saturday, February 09, 2013

A Stolen Life

by Jaycee Lee Dugard
Hennepin County Library audioCDs 6 discs
read by the author
genre: memoir

This was SO hard to listen to! I give her kudos for sharing her story and not letting Garrido off the hook for what he did. It just makes me so incredibly sad that ANY child has ever had to endure such terror, loss, and confusion. She tells her story in a childlike voice and with fairly simple, straightforward writing style. I found myself actually hoping that Phillip Garrido has received treatment from fellow inmates in prison that would help him understand a little bit of what he did to an eleven-year-old girl . . . . but I know that I shouldn't think that way.

I also hated that he would read the Bible and put his own sick twist on it. Hearing from "demon angels" and blaming his evil acts on them . . . again, it makes me so angry. I suppose I should have more compassion and forgiveness for someone who is truly messed up. But one cannot overlook the evil he (and his wife Nancy!) inflicted on this courageous young woman.

No comments: