Sunday, December 09, 2012

Why I Fight

by J. Adams Oaks
sort of PRMS (long story) paperback 228 pages
genre: realistic fiction (gritty)

Twelve-year-old Wyatt is a neglected kid. When he accidentally burns down his house after being left alone for several days in a row, his uncle takes him out of the shelter where he ended up with "Fever" (his father) and Ma. Uncle Spade is not exactly a wonderful role model or parent figure for Wyatt. This book is well-written but made me sad. Wyatt is uneducated, unloved, and used for his size and strength. Spade has Wyatt train as a bare-fist fighter and lies about his age. Wyatt navigates the confusion of cities, Spade's "lady friends," grandma's strange religious rants, and the neglect of his own parents by zoning out.

Since it has been drawn on and is no longer officially in the collection, I read it to decide whether or not I'd replace it. It's worth replacing, but I'm not sure I will. Not many kids will be able to relate to the kind of life Wyatt is leading.

No comments: