Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Of Mice and Men

by John Steinbeck
CMSE hardcover 107 pages
genre: classic American literature, historical fiction, relationships

I hadn't read this in over twenty years and had recommended it to David C. (who had to read a classic American work and does NOT like to read). I think he ended up going with Fahrenheit 451. I had forgotten how much swearing and slang was in this short little book (more like a novella than a true novel). Perhaps its length is what made so many English teachers choose it for high school students to read - at least it's short!

I loved seeing the way the different men communicate with one another. George and Lennie have such a simple yet profound relationship. Slim is my absolute favorite. I wish Lennie had been able to have a stuffed animal or a fur coat to fulfill his desire to pet something soft . . .

No comments: