Tuesday, April 17, 2012

The Tale of Despereaux

by Kate DiCamillo
PRMS paperback 280 pages
genre: children's fantasy

I thought I had read this before, but I was just mixing it up with Edward Tulane. Lovely story of a small mouse with big ears who falls in love with a princess.

A student had donated a book and I was looking forward to collecting more copies for the sixth grade book / movie unit. When I looked at the donated copy, though, I noticed the words "junior novelization." Sure enough, after DiCamillo's book was made into a movie, someone else made a book of the movie . . . and changed the story too much for me. Instead of opening with Despereaux, the novelization opens with The Rat (Roscuro) and a sailor named Pietro. Sigh. This is one GONE book!

The original tale is quaint and sweet. It's a bit on the young side, but that makes sense. Her intended audience was not my middle school kids.

No comments: