Thursday, February 16, 2012

Made to Crave: Satisfying your deepest desire with God, not food

by Lysa TerKeurst
Hennepin County Library paperback 217 pgs
genre: Christian self-improvement ?

Interesting to claim a genre for this . . . I almost put "self-help," but she's recommending reliance upon God not self. I almost wrote "dieting," but that's not her stated focus either.

Another interesting note: the cover image is IDENTICAL to the one on the Valerie Bertinelli book I read a little while ago. I knew that publishers did this . . . and read a cool blog entry last year about the phenomenon. I just don't understand WHY. It's an eye-catching image, yes, but I see lots & lots of photographs that are expressive. I think there are enough photos they could use without duplicating.

Anyhow, I liked the Scriptures she used. I wish I'd had time to read the whole thing, but someone's waiting for it so I need to return it today. Some of her "can't eat" food makes me wonder how it is part of God's will for her. No bread, rice, potatoes, etc.? Really? I know I need to pray more, but I don't think He's asking me to give up all the foods that she has decided to do without.

It would have been smart of me to just grab the list of Scripture verses at the end and skip the chapters on her struggles. I can't relate to her very much. Or perhaps this just isn't the right book at the right time for me.

No comments: