Sunday, September 25, 2011

Somewhere in Heaven: The Remarkable Love Story of Dana and Christopher Reeve

by Christopher P. Andersen
Hennepin County Library audioCDs 6 hours
read by Edward Herrmann
genre: biography

From the back "When a 1995 equestrian accident paralyzes Chris from the neck down, the star of four Superman films battles back to become an inspiring symbol for millions. His wife Dana, no less heroic, stands steadfastly by her husband's side until his unexpected death in 2004. . . . " Then Dana's mom dies, then Dana herself, from lung cancer (though she was a non-smoker). Though there were times when I teared up a bit (mostly thinking of poor little Will), this story did not make me overflow with compassion. Mr. Reeve was wealthy and privileged in many, many ways. Though what happened was tragic, many non-famous, non-wealthy people have horrible accidents and are left paralyzed. I struggled at times with my attitude while listening to the book. They really do sound as though they were wonderful people who positively impacted many other people's lives. The author was extremely positive in his portrayal of the Reeves. It just didn't move me the way other people's struggles have. Am I anti-rich? Not consciously. I'm glad that his accident led him to improve research for others with spinal cord injuries. I'm so sorry for all three of his children that they lost their dad (and Will his mom as well) while still so young.

No comments: