Sunday, September 25, 2011

Les Miserables

1935 movie
based on the book by Victor Hugo
starring Fredric March, Charles Laughton, and Sir Cedric Hardwicke
Hennepin County Library 110 minutes long

I sort of knew the story of Jean Valjean and Inspector Javert, but hadn't ever actually read Hugo's book or seen any of the many theatrical interpretations. I enjoyed this old black & white film, but am not sure how faithful it was to the original story. The only thing that really creeped me out was the relationship between Valjean and Cosette. He took care of her from the time she was a little girl and was a father figure, but acted as though he wanted to jump her bones.

I started to watch the 1952 version on the flip side of the disk, but I just wasn't up for another telling of the tale. I'll need to read the novel, but at least now I have a better understanding of the story. Now when I hear a reference to it, I'll have a connection to the text.

No comments: