Monday, August 01, 2011

The Unsinkable Walker Bean

by Aaron Renier
Hennepin County Library paperback 192 pages
genre: YA graphic novel, mystery & adventure

Hmmm. Surprised that I didn't like this more. I love graphic novels in general, but I was more confused than enthralled. I felt as though there was an entire back story that I was missing . . . like this was book two and I needed to read book one to "get" it. Walker is a lovely protagonist (though how his dad - a total jerk - raised such a fine son is baffling). Grandpa asks Walker to follow through on a dangerous task that could save grandpa and all of Winooski Bay. Pirates, sea monsters, inventions, friendships, and many trials ensue. Many of the illustrations were quite involved and bear more looking at than I gave them. I'll probably buy it for my collection at PRMS.

No comments: