Monday, July 25, 2011

The Good, the Bad, and the Barbie

subtitled A Doll's History and Her Impact on Us (unauthorized)
by Tanya Lee Stone
Hennepin County Library hardcover 110 pages
genre: Non-Fic, culture

Very, very interesting book with excellent photos. I wasn't a huge Barbie fan as a kid and I never hated her, but understand the author's perspective that people either love her or hate her. This creation definitely elicits a lot of passion from people. This was interesting to me, but especially in terms of Ruth Handler's story. I would enjoy reading more about this unusual woman. Fascinating. My favorite quote came at the end of the story.

"I have a pink Barbie T-shirt and I wore it to work the other day and got a look from a guy that was like, 'Oh, how sad, you aspire to be Barbie, can't you aim any higher?' And all I could think was, 'Hey loser, my Barbie had a three-story townhouse with an elevator, a pool she floated around in with her friends when she needed to relax, a plane she could pilot on her own, a camper she could rough it in when she felt like getting back to nature, and she was the sole proprietor of a hair salon with a working blow dryer! And all this without a man in her life or the need to ask anyone for a dime to support her lifestyle. Go Barbie.'" - Jennifer O'Connell

No comments: