Monday, July 25, 2011

Countdown

by Deborah Wiles
Hennepin County audioCDs 7 hrs 20 min
read by Emma Galvin
genre: YA hist fic, relationships & coming-of-age

I loved this! I'm not sure if my modern middle-schoolers will, though. The historical details are rich indeed, with the early 1960s coming through loud & clear (though I wasn't even born until 1966!). Franny Chapman is starting her transition from childhood to teenager and it isn't going well for her. With strict parents, an older (college age) sister who is looking beyond home life, a "perfect" little brother, and a best friend who's not being so nice, she isn't sure what to do.

This rich story has layers upon layers of beauty, from Uncle Otts and his personal history to Franny's budding love interest Chris. I guess I should buy a copy for PRMS and figure out how to "sell" it in booktalks.

No comments: