Friday, March 19, 2010

The Greatest Generation

by Tom Brokaw
Hennepin County Library hardcover 390 pages
WWII non-fiction / heroes

I didn't finish this in time for book club discussion, but found that I was somewhat disappointed in the book. I've heard so many rave reviews of it that I think I expected more. My favorite chapters were on Dr. Van Gorder and Mary Louise Roberts Wilson. I guess in general, I liked the down-to-earth stories of the ordinary people. Even though Brokaw included a "shame" category, the book overall seemed to idealize the generation. We had a great discussion about that. I definitely think that there can be a general social mentality even when there are "good" and "bad" individuals in every era. I think the "me" decade was a time of great selfishness although there were many generous caring people and events at that time, too. Interesting book. Those of a slightly older age were really curious to hear what the 20-somethings thought of the book, but most of the younger book clubbers hadn't read it . . .

1 comment:

Jeanne LaMoore said...

Commenting on my own blog - now that I've finished the book, there are some other observations:
- I don't understand the info on Rev. Harry Reginald "Reg" Hammond - it says that " . . . at one point the 90th had a casualty rate of 100 percent among its enlisted men; 150 percent among teh officers."
- In the section on the ROMEO club, I reflected that there are still a lot of good, respectful, responsible young people. Yes, societal mores have changed and there are some distressing examples of decreased respect, but not all young people are rude and awful.
- The section on Greenberg and AIG made me wonder . . . had he left the company before it messed up so badly? Makes me want to do some research. To me, AIG represents some of the most greedy, awful excesses of capitalism gone wrong.
- Mark Hatfield - one of my favorite sections! What an admirable man. I have never heard of him before. He sounds like such a wonderful man of conviction.
- In the section on Bob Dole, I see why Karen brought up the WWII memorial during our discussion. Again, it makes me want to do some research. Why DID it take so long to get a WWII memorial built???