Thursday, March 25, 2010

City of Bones

by Cassandra Clare
book one in The Mortal Instruments
Becky C loaned it to me, hardcover, 485 pages

Hmmm. This one didn't do it for me. I'm a bit surprised that it's a "New York Times Bestseller" - wonder if that happened before or after Stephenie Meyer endorsed it as a "story world I love to live in." It has some interesting characters and scenes, but I found it to be too dark. The romance angle was also disappointing (spoiler alert!) . . . when the sparks between Jace and Clary fizzle upon their learning that they are actually siblings. I don't even want to read the rest of the series to find out what happens. The scene in the church was most disappointing to me. Jace's abrupt change of allegiances in the final scene with Valentine put the nail in the coffin, so to speak. I'm glad Becky has found a series that she loves, but I don't share the love!

No comments: