Saturday, September 13, 2008

Shipwreck at the Bottom of the World

subtitled: The Extraordinary True Story of Shackleton and the Endurance
by Jennifer Armstrong
CMSE, paperback, 126 pages

After reading Shackleton's Stowaway, I wanted to read a non-fiction account of this expedition. Kelly Johnson recommended it highly. My favorite thing about reading this book was looking at the pictures Frank Hurley took. How amazing that these men all survived such a treacherous ordeal. I confess, though, that I found the fictionalized story much more gripping. The men and the drama of their situation was so much more detailed and fascinating - the benefits of writing fiction, I suppose.

Still, this is a great story. The harshness of Antarctica and the unbelievable outcome of events make it a very worthwhile read.

No comments: