Tuesday, April 15, 2008

On the Bright Side, I'm Now the Girlfriend of a Sex God

by Louise Rennison
Performed by Sina Nielsen
5 CDs, Hennepin County Library

Okay, I just didn't enjoy this one at much. It still made me laugh out loud at parts, and I love Nielsen's delightful delivery, but the story is based on a character who is less than admirable.

Georgia Nicholson is probably the worst friend ever - and I include the vapid Princess Diary books in this. She is selfish and cruel, caring not at all for her best friend's thoughts or feelings. When she dumped "Dave the laugh," it was just another example of her selfishness and shallowness.

Still, a lot of the humor is self-deprecating and terribly funny. As Georgia fixates on Robbie, she loses track of herself. Not sure yet if I want to "read" the next book.

My favorite part to this one was again due to Georgia's interactions with her little sister. Too funny! And the parts about Angus amused me, too.

Georgia's attempts to "get stuff" from God or Buddha or whomever will give her what she wants just add to her "mememe" mentality.

No comments: