Sunday, April 27, 2008

Miracle of 49th Street by Mike Lupica

Audiobook on 5 CDs, Hennepin County Library

This was so much like "Between Sundays" by Karen Kingsbury that I found myself laughing at the cliche'. A mom dies, leaving a child who has never known his / her pro athlete parent. The child informs the parent, who goes through denial, exploration, and becomes a loving and devoted parent to the child he never knew existed. Right.

Only this story bugged me even more than Kingsbury's version because Molly (the child) is such a brat. Again, maybe the reader's voice swayed my opinion (though she did a splendid job!) but I just wanted to smack Molly upside the head. And how many superstar athletes with a reputation for self-centeredness would keep a housekeeper who mommed them to death? And then spend excessive quantities of time and attention on a 12-year-old who showed up out of the blue. Whatever.

When I've recommended this book to kids, I've done it on the strength of Lupica's reputation as a sports writer and the image of the girl with the basketball on the cover. This book will NOT appeal to my typical sports fans. It's definitely a relationship story (with a bratty, immature girl as the main character). Yuk.

Okay, what did I like??? The housekeeper Mattie rocks. She is the best part of this whole story!

No comments: