Sunday, December 09, 2007

The Wednesday Wars by Gary Schmidt
264 pgs, CMSW hardcover

I enjoyed this immensely, but can't figure out how to "sell" it to middle schoolers. It got rave reviews and I see why. I loved his Lizzie Bright and the Buckminster Boy, too (much more than Kira-Kira, which won the Newbery that year). His writing style is very engaging. I just haven't seen kids get hooked on his books.

Mrs. Baker is the extraordinary English teacher in this Vietnam-war era story of a 7th grade boy, Holling Hoodhood. Holling does not go to Wednesday afternoon religious instruction like all the other kids. When half his class leaves for Catholic catechism and the other half leaves for the temple and Hebrew instruction, Holling is left with Mrs. Baker. She begins with menial labor (like eraser cleaning), and moves into Shakespeare. Along the way, she teaches him to think and to care.

This would be a delightful discussion book - with mature adolescents or with adults. It made me want to pick up some Shakespeare. It's been a long time since I read or saw any of the bard's plays. Gary D. Schmidt is a fantastic author! He has another gem in this book.



I cried at a few different points in this book. When Holling re-conneccts with his sister (Heather). When Mrs. Bigio (the cook whose husband died in VietNam) apologizes to refugee Mai Thi. This is a wonderful book and I hope my students enjoyed it. We'll discuss it this week . . .

No comments: