Sunday, December 16, 2007

A Planet Called Treason by Orson Scott Card
paper, home library, 299 pgs

This was a re-read (multiple times). Why do I do that when I have so many other books to read? I think it has something to do with not wanting to actually have to think when I'm tired. Since I know the story already, it's a lazy read. It's similar to other people "vegging out" in front of the tv - mindless entertainment.

Card is my favorite SciFi author, but he wrote this book early in his career and it is a rough read! It lacks the smoothness of his later work, but is still an intriguing story. The descendants of an intellectual rebellion are each making the most of their ancestors' strengths. The Muellers are using their genetics to regenerate human body parts. The Nkumai are selling physics (e.g. faster than light travel). Lanik Mueller is both hero and pariah in this story of power, mystery, and salvation. (Not the kind that Jesus offers, though!)

No comments: