Tuesday, March 19, 2024

The Case of the Cryptic Crinoline (Enola Holmes #5)

by: Nancy Springer

Libby audiobook 3 hours

Read by: Katherine Kellgren

Published: 2011

Genre: YA historical detective fiction


I wish I'd read these books in order! This one started us in Scutari, Turkey during the Crimean War. Interesting - the screen on my car said "1885" but the voice said "1855." I'm guessing the first was Enola's time and the latter was the opening scene during the war.


I immediately knew Florence Nightingale was in this scene, even before she was referred to as "the lady with the lamp." It took Enola a long, long time to figure this out!


Mrs. Tupper has been kidnapped and the house ransacked. Enola goes to find a relative of the famous nurse, assuming she's long dead. (The comments about the elderly - past the age of 50! - made me laugh so hard.) Enola's interactions with Nightingale are delightful. This may be my favorite book in the series and does a great job of bridging the gap between lodging at Mrs. Tupper's and staying at the women's professional building.


All in all, an enjoyable book. Flory was a hoot, too!

No comments: