Tuesday, August 30, 2022

Song for a Whale

 by Lynne Kelly

Scott County Library hardcover 299 pages

Published: 2019

Genre: YA realistic fiction


I read this two weeks ago and so the story has faded for me a bit. I remember enjoying it but not feeling super strong about it. I did put some post-it notes in it, though.


Page 6 - "She'd checked out a library book about it, so that made her an expert. Some people have the kind of confidence that lets them get away with being clueless."


The protagonists's classmate Nina tries using sign language to communicate with Iris, but Iris is just irritated with her poor attempts. I laughed at this "kind of confidence" because I am sometimes guilty of it!


Page 26 - "I took out my phone to text Grandpa. It was the kind of thing he'd pick up for me before someone else grabbed it. I typed a few words before I caught myself. Sometimes I'd think of something to tell him, before remembering he wasn't there to answer me. Then I felt bad for forgetting. Shouldn't I always feel it? Missing him?"


Ah, yes. Grief. Wanting to call, text, or see someone who isn't there anymore. I love the relationships between Iris and her deaf grandparents. So sweet.


Page 225 - "Time and distance smooth out the memory of what was lost."


First of all, I love the sign language word game that Iris had played with her grandpa. Second, I love that her grandma was willing to play the game with her on the cruise. Third, I love that grandma is finding some healing from her own grief. Beautiful.


Page 262 - "At least I'd brought Grandma to the sea, and it washed away the drizzly November in her soul."


Such beautiful language. This is a well-written book.


Page 283 - Grandma decides to live on a cruise ship full time! I marked this because it's one of the ideas swirling around in my head about what retirement could look like. It's not one that I'm seriously considering, but it made me laugh when it came up in the book.


Page 289 - This is the start of the author's note. She writes about whale communication and the 52-Hertz Whale. Super interesting!


Page 295 - The author writes about deafness. "The Deaf community is a strong one, and despite the isolation and frustration its members experience because of the language barrier, most wouldn't want to change their deafness, any more than the rest of us would be willing to give up our friends, language, and culture. Like everyone, Iris does wish to feel heard, and for a place she belongs."


Overall, an enjoyable book. Iris is an interesting character. Her older brother and her friend Wendell add to her "story." But my favorite part was her connection to her grandparents. Fixing radios and wanting to communicate with a lonely whale were also neat.


No comments: